11 May . 2018
Chef Joe's Spicy Beer Chili
What better way to celebrate dad than with a spicy beer chili that will knock his socks off? Our chef, Joe Gregory, shares his secret recipe.
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 1/2 lbs chuck tender steak patted dry with paper towels, cut into bite-size pieces and lightly salted.
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 anaheim chili pepper, seeds and stem removed, chopped into small pieces
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, seeds and stem removed, chopped into small pieces
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes (preferably fire-roasted, not drained), 14 oz
- 1 can black beans 15 oz, rinsed and drained
- 1 can pinto beans 15 oz, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cornmeal
- 2 tsp molasses
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup beer
First, preheat your oven to 300°F.
Pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil into cast iron dutch oven and heat over medium heat until warm. Add onion, anaheim chili pepper, and jalapeno peppers. Stir occasionally until onions are translucent. Add garlic, cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes and beans. Stir well.
Add chicken broth, molasses, cocoa powder and spices (cumin, ground pepper, salt and cayenne). Stir well. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Immediately, reduce heat and leave on low while you prepare the steak.
In large saucepan, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add diced steak and cook just until browned on all sides. Pour steak and any juices into dutch oven and stir.
Return pan to burner and add beer to the pan. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to simmer, scraping the bottom and sides of the pan until residual browning has come clean. Pour beer, juices, and steak bits into dutch oven. Stir well, then cover dutch oven with lid and transfer to 300°F oven.
Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour, remove lid and allow to cool slightly before serving. Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, and chopped green onions, if desired. Enjoy!
Previous PostWaterset is #1 in Hillsborough County!
Older Post"When I Think Waterset, I Think Happy"
Want More Information?
- 2019 (29)
- 2018 (82)
- 2017 (40)
- 2016 (40)
- 2015 (11)
- 2014 (4)